Arbroath vs Edinburgh City FC


Match Info

Date Time Competition Season Full Time
October 12, 2018 7:35 pm Challenge Cup 2018/19 90'


Gayfield Park
2 Windmill Gardens, Arbroath DD11 1QJ, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Edinburgh City134Win

Match Report

Lights, cameras, action! Our live TV debut had all of that as we recorded one of our best ever results against League 1 leaders Arbroath.

Despite the blustery conditions the pitch at Gayfield Park was immaculate and this really suited our passing style. City dominated possession straight from kick off however it was the hosts who took the lead, a long ball catching out our defence and McKenna was able to roll the ball past Calum Antell to score.

There was a lot of head scratching going on amongst the City followers as to ho we were behind, however the lead only lasted until the 26th minute, when after yet another stramash in the Arbroath box, Blair Henderson was brought down and the big striker dusted himself off the smash home the penalty kick.

It was no more than City deserved on the balance of play and it could have been more with the front two of Shepherd and Henderson both coming close, however Arbroath ended the half with a couple of decent chances themselves, firstly a long range drive whistled last the post then they forced a smart save from Antell.

City kept their momentum into the second half and despite the setback of Danny Handling having to be replaced by Allan Smith early in the half, they went ahead in the 55th minute when a slick passing move saw Marc Laird cut the ball back for Blair Henderson and his shot was helped into the net by Scott Shepherd, creating bedlam from the City Ultras behind the goal!

Shepherd was on fire he could have had a second shortly after but he just couldn’t connect with Graham Taylor’s low driven cross. Ten minutes later however his strong running into the box drew a rash challenge and it was penalty number two. Once again the Ice Man Blair Henderson stepped up and dispatched the spot kick. There were too performers all over the pitch and it was no surprise when a fourth goal was added in the 78th minute, Liam “The Shark” Henderson powering in a header from Craig Thomson’s corner kick.

Overall a superb performance which gives us a quarter final to look forward to and is another step on our wonderful journey this season. Everyone played their part in the victory and a special mention must go to the travelling City supporters, who’s backing was magnificent – their support is massively appreciated by everyone at the club.


An unbelievable performance saw us defeat League 1 leaders Arbroath


1Darren Hill Goalkeeper
2Jason Thomson Defender
3Colin Hamilton Defender
4Ricky Little Defender
5Thomas O’Brien Defender
6Finn Graham 14 Forward
7David Gold Midfielder
8Ryan McCord Midfielder
9Ryan Wallace 16 Forward
10Michael McKenna Forward
11Danny Denholm 15 Midfielder
12Gavin Swankie Forward
14Bobby Linn 6 Forward
15Mark Whatley 11 Midfielder
16Steven Doris 9 Midfielder
21Darren Jamieson Goalkeeper
  1 1 2

Edinburgh City

1Calum Antell Goalkeeper
2Craig Thomson Midfielder
3Robbie McIntyre Defender
22Liam Henderson Midfielder
5Conrad Balatoni Defender
10Danny Handling 7 Midfielder
4Andrew Black Midfielder
6Marc Laird Midfielder
11Graham Taylor 16 Midfielder
9Blair Henderson Forward
19Scott Shepherd 17 Forward
7Allan Smith 10 Forward
14Gareth Rodger Defender
16Keiran Stewart 11 Defender
17Calum Hall 19 Defender
39Regan Lumsden Forward
21Fraser Morton Goalkeeper
  4 2 3
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

KO KO 56 64 64 73 77 84 FT